Thursday, December 6, 2007

Romney's Speech Convinced Me

Everybody seems to be talking about Romney's "Mormon" speech.

Chris Matthews had Pat Buchanan and some guy from beliefnet on, and they all agreed it was a good speech, with Buchanan and Matthews giving it a "great".

Unfortunately for me, hearing this several times today

There is one fundamental question about which I often am asked. What do
I believe about Jesus Christ? I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and
the Savior of mankind. My church's beliefs about Christ may not all be the same
as those of other faiths. Each religion has its own unique doctrines and
history.


has recalled childhood experiences with Mormonism and the horror of having read Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I'm not particularly religious, in fact, I'm probably particularly not religious. I am, however, religiously curious and have been as long as I can remember. As a child, I went through stages of wanting to be a Catholic, then Jewish, even Mormon for a short period.

Romney went on to say

These are not bases for criticism but rather a test of our tolerance.
Religious tolerance would be a shallow principle indeed if it were reserved
only for faiths with which we agree.

And this I have a problem with. I don't think I want a man as president who is going to be tolerant of the preaching and practice of intolerance, as in the case of the British teacher in Sudan.

So, while Romney's speech appears reasonable and sensible, it has had the unintended consequence for me to put him in my "definitely could not support" category.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See the NY Times Article on the contrast between Jack Kennedy and how he dealt with his religion and Mitt Romney.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/opinion/05woodward.html