Friday, December 14, 2007

Does a secular society exclude religion?

No. Does not "secular" basically mean "not religious" rather than "atheist"? A secular society has a place for everyone, from the most faithfully religious (of any creed) to the most unreligious atheist.

A secular society is the one I want to live in.

Whether I believe in a Supreme Being of the Jewish, Christian, or Islamic types matters not, it is the human organization and interpretation of religion that I distrust. I certainly do not want that human organization or interpretation of religion to inform my government.

I agree with Roger Cohen. "Where Kennedy said he believed in a “president whose religious views are his own private affair,” Romney pledged not to “separate us from our religious heritage.” "

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Ms. Owhining:

This is my second attempt to correct you on this site.

We do not live in a secular or humanist society yet. Presently we are governed by a government controlled by the greed factor of business. The out-of-date Adam Smith simple "profit motive" of capitalism (that concentration of wealth is good) envisions that corporations will act in moral and long-term intention, and not act to impoverish their consumers, nor work for short-term greed.

The universal profit motive can be utilized for good. (like the 300 bucks you have promised to send me).

Perhaps the most radical and worthwhile thing that the Congress should do, by legislation, or amendment, is to overturn the dreadful 1890's or so Supreme Court decision, written by the first Holmes I think, that corporations are "persons". Until that is changed, there is little hope. Government, the one we vote for, has to control the greed factor in business instead of vice versa.

If some fundamentalist became president, then we would also have to factor out rational thought, and then New Zealand again beckons.

Donna B. said...

No, we are not (yet) governed by a government controlled by the greed factor of business.

Most businesses act as Adam Smith says. Not all, but those do not stay in business (see Enron.)

What $300 bucks? I've promised you nothing! except grief, perhaps ;-)

Personally, I think those politicians "preaching" fundamentalism are "preaching" to a very, very small part of the choir.

I'll have to give some thought to that corporation as person thing. You could be right.